Hello Fellow Optimists,
I would like to take a few moments to thank you all for the opportunity to serve as your Governor for the 2017-2018 Optimist Year.
As Governor of the West Missouri District (WEMO), I have worked to align the goals of this district with those outlined by Optimist International President-elect Nick Prillaman to empower the members of our district with needed leadership skills, imparting knowledge of our organization and its inner workings, provide inspiration and guidance, and, most of all, give much needed support to develop strong clubs – building from the bottom up (or top down, depending on how you look at it).
It might see like a long list, but in reality it is not if we all work together to accomplish these goals not only for the West Missouri Optimist Distr4ict, but also for Optimist International as a whole.
- HAVE FUN!!!!!
- Branding -- Share the new branding logo and encourage its use on EVERYTHING Optimist related throughout the district.
- Leadership Development –
GOAL #1: Successful outreach program to recruit potential leaders for “Catch a Rising Star Program.”
GOAL #2: Successful training program for leaders for club officers and the WEMO Team 2018-2019 including Lt. Governors.
GOAL #3: Interesting and fun training courses for club members who are not in officer training courses.
GOAL #4: At least one training session will be offered “off-site” or “outside the box” each quarter.
- “Optimist Strong” – Start “Optimist Strong” first quarter and finish that way fourth quarter!
GOAL: By the end of the year, at least 90% of the clubs will participate in at last one webinar developed by OI.
- Marketing – Continue to help those clubs struggling to meet marketing goals or those who struggle with the appropriate technology. Offer specific training for those clubs. Overall, promote better marketing techniques for WEMO to encourage higher attendance at district meetings. We will be reaching out to more individual club members rather than club presidents, secretaries, and treasurers only.
GOAL #1: Promote better marketing techniques to encourage higher attendance at district meetings.
GOAL #2: Help clubs develop marketing strategies for successful clubs to use for promotion of their club meetings, events, fund raisers, and service projects.
GOAL #3: By the end of the year, at least 90% of the clubs will have a webpage or Facebook page.
- Social Media -- Increase the use of social media. Try using Skype, Twitter, and other social media. Work with those clubs who have not set up a Twitter account to communicate with the WEMO Governor or a Facebook page. Encourage members from other clubs to like those Facebook pages and share with their FB friends.
GOAL #1: At least 90% of the clubs will have a Facebook page to communicate about the club and club activities.
GOAL #2: At least 75% of all WEMO members will follow the West Missouri Optimists on GroupMe.
GOAL #3: At least one person from each club will follow the WEMO Governor on Twitter and get WEMO updates.
GOAL #4: We will have offered training sessions on the various social media formats such as GROUP ME, Twitter, Instagram, Constant Contact, and Skype for all clubs and members at the district conferences and convention.
GOAL #5: At least one person from 90% of the clubs will check the OI Facebook or OI Instagram for daily posts.
GOAL #6: At least 90% of the clubs will use Facebook, Skype, Twitter, GroupMe, Instagram, and other social media for promotion of their club and activities as well as to communicate with each other and with others from around the district.
GOAL #7: At least 90% of the clubs will follow OI on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Constant Contact or other social media.
- Membership – Encourage clubs to purge early so we as a district can see where we are overall rather than waiting until September 30 to drop members. Have the Club Fitness Committee work with clubs struggling to keep members or struggling to maintain the club. Continue to promote NOW meetings with District staff available to attend and assist with meetings to promote membership growth. Encourage each club to have at least ONE NOW meeting this last quarter to improve membership, especially if it looks like they have to drop several members for whatever reasons. Try to get those scheduled with WEMO team members assisting when and where needed. Work with New Club Building team to identify areas without a club and seek to establish one in those areas. Even if they are not built for this year, we will have a start for next year!
GOAL # 1: At least four new clubs will be built for the district by the end of the year.
GOAL # 2: OVERALL DISTRICT GOAL: +25 net in membership at the end of the year.
GOAL # 3: OVERALL DISTRICT GOAL: 80% retention of membership
GOAL #4: Successful promotion of the OI Membership Incentives, including Teacher Incentive, 30 under 30, and other programs promoted by OI.
GOAL #5: Clubs will purge members as needed and not wait until September 30 to do so.
GOAL #6: Recognize Builders of Excellence when the club they have built celebrate its 5th year.
GOAL #7: At least 90% of the clubs will be at +1 in membership.
GOAL #8: At least 90% of the zones will have a 90% of their clubs have at least one NOW meeting.
- Member Attendance at Conferences -- Promote “First Timers” attendance and offer special classes for them at District Meeting so they will want to return to future meetings. Continue to offer new and interesting training for “old timers” to encourage their continued participation in quarterly meetings. Have a drawing for persons who have attended all four meetings for a free registration for First Quarter of 2018-2019.
GOAL # 1: Have more “First Timers” in attendance each quarter than we have ever had.
GOAL #2: Offer new and interesting training for “old timers” to encourage their continued participation in quarterly meetings.
GOAL #3: Higher conference attendance than we have had for the past 3 years.
- OIF - Have the DFR promote donations to the unrestricted funds of the OIF and increase the number of district members who participate in the Dime-A-Day program. Work to have each club turn in a Club CFR.
GOAL #1: Raise at least $12,000 for OIF.
GOAL #2: At least one member from each club be a participant in the Dime-A-Day program.
GOAL #3: At least 90% of the clubs will have a CFR.
- Club Honors – Work with clubs to promote the “Bringing Out the Best Clubs,” Honor Clubs, and Distinguished Clubs programs.
GOAL #1: By the end of the year, at least 50% of the clubs make Bringing Out the Best Honor.
GOAL #2: By the end of the year, at least 75% of the clubs make Honor Club.
GOAL #3: By the end of the year, at least 25% of the clubs make Distinguished Club.
GOAL #4: By the end of the year, at least 25% of the Lt. Governors are Distinguished Lt. Governors.
GOAL #5: By the end of the year, West Missouri will be a Distinguished District.
I am finding that as Governor, I have so much support from everyone all over the district. It is truly a blessing to be part of a group who strives to work together to help children. This is a GREAT District, no -- make that the BEST District, with great members, and I am honored to be part of such a wonderful group of people.
So, let’s make our Optimism spread like wild fire as we roll up our sleeves to work for the kids, build new clubs, and share our Optimism with others!
Thank you for allowing me to serve as your Governor